Smart people + Who hate reading = Dyslexia
Remote tutoring that works because it is STILL hands-on and multisensory! Great for hybrid learning.
Back to school "Pandemic Pods" available ONLINE in math and writing for the new school session, 2020-2021. 4 students per virtual class, live! $20 per class. Free sit in, on other classes.
We are Certified Barton Tutors using this premier reading and spelling, multi sensory system.
- remote tutoring via the Internet
- scientifically proven program
- over 10 years experience
- no homework!
This is the ONLY reading program you, or your child will ever need!
- Reading & Spelling
- Here is a short video of what online tutoring, using the Barton system, looks like:
- New Summer Camp Sessions!
- Study Skills
- Dyslexia Screening
- Parent Action Plan!
(A free 15 minute, online consultation, to come up with an academic plan based on your child's strengths)
- NEW! Covid resources for Teachers and Parents!
- Our ideal student fits this profile...
Join our noble crew of students who reached their full potential. We even taught and actual Knight!
Stop the "Summer Slide" and avoid learning loss during the pandemic by joining our Summer Camp:
MATH---SUMMER CAMPS: ONLINE (4 seats left!)
Enroll in one of our fun, small group, classes (one on one available but limited spaces)
July 21, 2020 - Online Math Camp
2 times per week- all ages (yes adults too).
Great refresher courses, with a fun spin, by avoiding memorizing and arbitrary math facts. Grouped by age or 1 on 1 sessions available.
- Times Tables the fun way, with pictures!
- Addition and Subtraction (with "new math" translations)
- Pre Algebra-(time saving tips)
- Intro to Geometry (real world examples and Trouble Shooting Guide for Proofs)
Certified Barton Tutor-Advanced
10+ years tutoring online
The best reading program for struggling readers and dyslexics:
Scientific research recommends an Orton Gillingham program as the most effective way to improve the reading, writing and spelling skills of struggling readers, poor spellers or people with dyslexia. And you don't need a diagnosis. Does your child struggle in these areas? Fact Sheet
Teachers and Principals check out our Online Resource Room!
Our program is also the fastest way to reach at or above grade level in reading and spelling. This program was designed for adults and is great for children.
How does it work? How do you teach reading without memorizing? What does that even mean? See for yourself with this short video of our program where we:
- teach reading by sounding out
- build pre-reading skills (not taught in school)
- spell words with spelling rules
- add logic to the English language
Each session is 45 minutes. Twice a week required.
For people of all ages: 5 to adult
We also offer:
- Age 5 - adult
1 in 5 people have dyslexia according to the National Institutes of Health.
See if your child fits the dyslexia profile with our ideal dyslexia screening based on the current evidence based models.
Most dyslexia assessments tell you that your child is struggling. But you already knew that. We give you time saving tools to specifically address subjects they struggle in, with research based methods. And profile students strengths.
Our screening is intentionally done in a familiar setting, like a library or our boat office. We work with all ages, so we avoid a juvenile classroom setting, and we avoid sterile doctors offices, and we don't like dark corporate complexes either.
Instead, we provide a fun, comfortable setting, offering numerous breaks with engaging games, under natural lighting with ample windows.
- the screening only takes 2 hours (other professionals can take 6 hours)
- using 8 screening tools, to specifically identify dyslexia and the severity. We also note any possible co-existing conditions if applicable
- results are completed with in 2 weeks with a 10 page written report and we will use the term 'dyslexia' if the student fits the scientific definition (Other testers can take months to complete results)
- our report includes customized, time saving resources and any classroom accommodations if needed (other assessors just give you a manila envelope with results, that are hard to interpret)
- we focus on strengths to overcome weaknesses, so we detail strengths
- and we will use the term "dyslexia" if your student fits the scientific definition. Many evaluators avoid the term (likely due to the fact "dyslexia" is NOT covered by insurance). Thus, your student will not get the proper research based program.
- great for all ages
- Age 5 - adult (great for ADHD)
We offer the best reading program, online, via a remote internet connection; across the country and around the world. It is still the best multi sensory program that we use in person, and now offer online, with the latest technologies.
- all you need is a PC or laptop with camera and Internet
- we supply all the worksheets and programs on our shared screen
- no homework required!
Each session is 45 minutes and twice a week is required.
Here is a short video of what online tutoring, using the Barton system, looks like...
Dyslexia is the most common learning disability (LD). 80% of those classified with a LD, are dyslexic.
You don't need a diagnosis to use our program. It is designed for struggling readers. Most of our students are dyslexic but it can help with other issues (auditory processing, reading comprehension, fluency, spelling and mild autism).
Successful people have dyslexia, and can work in any field they choose, but for many dyslexics, who don't get the right help:
- The dropout rate for students with learning disabilities (dyslexia) is 35%—twice the national average.
- Less than two percent of people with learning disabilities (dyslexia) get a four-year college degree.
- Over 30% of all welfare recipients are estimated to be learning disabled (dyslexic).
- Over 40% of prisoners are estimated to be learning disabled (dyslexic).
The figures above illustrate how learning disabilities are impacting our society—not just those directly affected, not just parents trying to help their kids, not just teachers trying to get children through the school system. As a society, learning disabilities come at a cost to all of us. But our research based program WILL help, so do not wait.
We help build and preserve self esteem! Our students have become bookworms! Most make the honor roll for the first time ever. They can succeed in any career they choose. Their innate skills are needed in every job sector. What they are naturally good at, you can't teach anyway (athletic, musical, computers, marketing, social skills, creativity, holistic thinkers, artists)...but we can fix their reading and spelling.
Our Unique Teaching Approach
The biggest mistake other tutors and school teachers often make when teaching our students, is to teach them the same way, but slower. They teach them the same material, but slower. They assume our students are slow, which isn't true. The school's biggest mistakes are: Not listening to parents and doing the 'wait to fail' approach. That approach is discouraging and defeating and you waste valuable time.
Regardless of any official diagnosis, we do know for certain, that the way the school teaches language to our students, is not their ideal learning style. So why pull that student out to teach them the same way but slower? It's time to find out your child's learning style.
Our approach is to avoid the traditional 2 dimensional teaching offered in the classroom. That method requires a strong short term memory, where dyslexics are notoriously weak.
Instead, we teach students how to read, spell, and write without memorization. We focus on their strong 3-dimensional visualization abilities and teach language differently, by using hands on practices.
Our students difficulty with reading often resides in their lack of pre-reading skills. Skills that are NOT taught in school. So other tutors and school teachers try to teach our struggling readers without fixing the foundation skills in reading. It's like building a sky scraper on a weak foundation. Those students will forever struggle, as reading problems are not outgrown, they are persistent. 90% of children who struggle early on, will struggle as adults.
- Phonemic Awareness (pre reading skill)
- The Sound System (with clean sounds)
- Syllable Instruction with vowel patterns
- Meaningful word parts: root words, prefixes, suffixes
- Grammar and syntax
- Word meaning
- Sight words
- Latin Roots
- Greek Combining Forms
- French Influence
- Yes, your 6th grader can complete all 10 levels of our system and have a 10th grade level in reading, spelling and vocabulary.
- Yes, your 2nd grader can learn to spell the word 'auxiliary' faster than the school could teach him 'does'. And retain it. And that same child, for the first time, realizes he is smart because he can spell high school level words.
Our students are very bright and logical and respond well with our color coded word program. We are the ONLY reading program with the online app featuring the colored letter tiles. They can drag and drop to build words using an ipad, just as they can with physical tiles. We are modern and up to date with programs and technologies to keep our students engaged. And we take them out of that classroom setting and tutor from a library, our boat or online.
- We are the FIRST Certified Barton Tutors in NJ (we likely trained the others)
- We have completed the graduate level course on Screening for Dyslexia, offered by Bright Solutions for Dyslexia
- We were personally trained by Susan Barton, an Orton Gillingham Hall of Honor Inductee.
- We have dyslexia. We know what works and what doesn't. And our students get, that we get it and speak their language
- We tutor out of our mobile office, which is a boat, at various locations, and we tutor from local libraries in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Our teaching settings supply a familiar and comfortable place to learn. We avoid the classroom setting, we stay away from stale boardrooms, we hate ammonia smelling doctors offices, and we hate the vibe of dirty, matted, carpet in dark office complexes.
- We offer 1 on 1 tutoring and we offer the same program online for those out of our area.
- We are official Producers of the dyslexia film titled: Embracing Dyslexia and we have been published numerous times.
We prepare students for life beyond the confines of the classroom, and teach them how to succeed beyond the florescent lights.
After all, dyslexia is just an island of weakness, in a sea of strengths. And we teach to those strengths.
We have helped people across the nation and around the world in countless job sectors...proving that reading difficulties are a common global issue...we can fix.
For our students abroad:
Our online tuition cover maths, reading, spelling, writing and study skills - We teach remotely, and offer one-on-one sessions with a live tutor coach - for all ages.
Name of Student: ________________________________________________
Sessions per week: ______ , charged at $85 per 45-minute tutoring session.
Prepay discount: pay 4 sessions at $75 each, prior to session. Prepayments are nonrefundable. Or you can opt for ‘pay as you go’ at $85.
One-time administration fee: $75 circle if enclosed.
Weekly sessions are scheduled for:
Monday, from___________to ___________am, pm
Tuesday, from___________to ___________am, pm
Wednesday, from___________to ___________am, pm
Thursday, from___________to ___________am, pm
Friday, from___________to ___________am, pm
The first day of tutoring will be on: ___________________________________________
The tutoring sessions will be held at: __________________________________________
Tuition is due prior to each session. All prepayments must be “prepaid” or the reduced fee defaults back to $85. Payments accepted: Check (made payable to: Dyslexia Coach of NJ, LLC), Cash or PayPal (AJ2Jgees@yahoo.com).
Your student’s sessions are standing appointments. That timeslot is reserved solely for you.
Depending on any attention issues (ADHD) or severity of the reading delay, it can take 3 years, of twice a week tutoring, for your student to reach grade level in reading. Most of our students complete their goals within 8 to 24 months. Many make honor roll and most end up loving to read and read independently for fun. All students should show progress within 15 sessions.
If an emergency occurs, please call your tutor in advance, if possible, and advise them of your cancellation.
There are no refunds for missed or cancelled appointments. Make-up sessions will be offered for missed appointments where advanced notice was given. Your tutor will make two scheduling opportunities available for make-up sessions. If a make-up session cannot be arranged during these two opportunities, the full fee for the missed session will be considered earned and no future make-up opportunity, for that absence, will be offered.
Excessive cancellations, without make-up sessions, may result in the termination of services for your student.
Below applies to in person and online sessions:
Prompt arrivals and pick-ups are essential (Online sessions must log in on time). Appointments are tightly scheduled, and there is no supervised waiting area. Parents are welcome to attend the tutoring sessions in an “in the background” listening mode. To avoid distraction, siblings of the student or other children are not to attend the sessions or interrupt online sessions. We advise that all parents/guardians remain on site with their child, during the tutoring sessions and assume all liability related to their child.
***If sessions occur on the boat, which is our mobile office unit, the parent or guardian assumes any liability for everyone in their party, and all parties enter the fully working boat, at their own risk. No climbing. The boat has narrow passages, is slippery when wet, and will shift and move. This liability includes using the stairs when boarding and debarking the vessel. Serious injury can occur.
Please notify your tutor when there are any changes regarding who will be picking up your child. Your child’s safety and security are critical. Do not leave children home alone during online sessions. By signing this agreement you are certifying that a responsible adult is always on site with the student.
Students my call their tutor “Ms. Jen” or “Ms. Amy” (or Coach Jen etc).
There is no homework required.
We have a tax ID number, so you can ask your tax accountant, about declaring tutoring fees deductible, under medical, if they had any diagnosis.
Our Parent Portal will track sessions and payments for our members.
We specialize in tutoring children, there are certain things that we do not do.
- We do not do advocacy work. We will not attend IEP or 504 meetings but can refer a colleague who specializes in that field, if requested.
- We do not assist with homework.
- We do not consult with or contact the student's teachers or other extended relatives except by special arrangement and for a fee.Your tutor is available by phone for a professional consultation at no charge for items that take less than 10 minutes. Please let your tutor know at the beginning of a session, that you would like to meet with them, so they can end the tutoring session early enough to consult with you.If more time is needed, we would be happy to set up an appointment with you and would charge our session rate for that time.
I have read, and agree to, the policies and procedures set forth by Dyslexia Coach of NJ.
Signature: ______________________________________ Date:___________________
Tutor: __________________________________________ Date:___________________
Contact us to get a parent action plan so your student can have the right tools, to reach their academic goals, based on their learning style.