- Age 5 - adult
- SPRING is here! I think... SAFE TRAVELS ON SPRING BREAK!
- Barton Tutors: Nominate one student for our Captain of Achievement Award!
Scientific research recommends an Orton Gillingham program as the most effective way to improve the reading, writing and spelling skills of struggling readers, poor spellers or people with dyslexia. And you don't need a diagnosis. Does your child struggle in these areas? Fact Sheet
Teachers and Principals check out our Online Resource Room!
We are Certified Barton Tutors using this premier reading and spelling, multi sensory system.
- 1 on 1 tutoring
- or remote tutoring via the Internet
- no homework!
This is the ONLY reading program you, or your child will ever need!
Our program is also the fastest way to reach at or above grade level in reading and spelling. This program was designed for adults and is great for children.
How does it work? How do you teach reading without memorizing..what does that even mean? See for yourself with this short video of our program where we:
- teach reading by sounding out
- build pre-reading skills
- spell words with spelling rules
- add logic to the English language
Each session is 45 minutes. Twice a week required.
For people of all ages: 5 to adult
We also offer:
- Age 5 - adult
1 in 5 people have dyslexia according to the National Institutes of Health. See if your child fits the dyslexia profile with our ideal dyslexia screening. Most other dyslexia assessments tell you that your child is struggling. But you already knew that. We give you time saving tools to fix it.
Our screening is intentionally done in a familiar setting, like a library or our boat office. We avoid classroom settings, avoid sterile doctors offices, we don't like dark corporate complexes that often smell like ammonia, and boardrooms can be overwhelming.
Instead, we provide a fun, comfortable setting, offering numerous breaks with engaging games, under natural lighting with ample windows.
- the screening only takes 2 hours
- using 8 screening tools, to specifically identify dyslexia and severity.
- results are completed with in 2 weeks
- includes a 10 page written report
- includes customized, time saving, resources and any classroom accommodations if needed.
- we focus on strengths to overcome weaknesses
- great for all ages
- Age 5 - adult (great for ADHD)
We offer the best reading program, online, via a remote internet connection; across the country and around the world. It is still the best multi sensory program that we use in person, and now offer online, with the latest technologies.
- all you need is a PC or laptop with camera and Internet
- headset for audio, optional
- usb pen pad, optional
- we supply all the worksheets and programs on our shared screen
- and we offer printable worksheets if you want extra practice, but homework is required.
Each session is 45 minutes and twice a week is required.
Here is a short video of what online tutoring, using the Barton system, looks like...
Dyslexia is the most common learning disability (LD). 80% of those classified with a LD, are dyslexic.
You don't need a diagnosis to use our program. It is designed for struggling readers. Most of our students are dyslexic but it can help with other issues (auditory processing, reading comprehension & fluency, spelling).
Many successful people have dyslexia, but for many dyslexics, who don't get the right help:
- The dropout rate for students with learning disabilities (dyslexia) is 35%—twice the national average.
- Less than two percent of people with learning disabilities (dyslexia) get a four-year college degree.
- Over 30% of all welfare recipients are estimated to be learning disabled (dyslexic).
- Over 40% of prisoners are estimated to be learning disabled (dyslexic).
The figures above illustrate how learning disabilities are impacting our society—not just those directly affected, not just parents trying to help their kids, not just teachers trying to get children through the school system. As a society, learning disabilities come at a cost to all of us. But our research based program WILL help, so do not wait.
We help build and preserve self esteem! Our students have become bookworms! Most make the honor roll for the first time ever. They can succeed in any career they choose. Their innate skills are needed in every job sector. What they are naturally good at, you can't teach anyway (athletic, musical, computers, marketing, social skills, creativity, holistic thinkers, artists)...but we can sure fix their reading and spelling. =tools to success
Our Unique Teaching Approach
The biggest mistake other tutors and school teachers often make when teaching our students, is to teach them the same way, but slower. They teach them the same material, but slower. They assume our students are slow, which isn't true. The school's biggest mistakes are: Not listening to parents and doing the 'wait to fail' approach. That approach is discouraging and defeating and you waste valuable time.
Regardless of any official diagnosis, we do know for certain, that the way the school teaches language to our students, is not their ideal learning style. So why pull that student out to teach them the same way but slower? It's time to find out your child's learning style.
Our approach is to avoid the traditional 2 dimensional teaching offered in the classroom. That method requires a strong short term memory, where dyslexics are notoriously weak.
Instead, we teach students how to read, spell, and write without memorization. We focus on their strong 3-dimensional visualization abilities and teach language differently, by using hands on practices.
Our students difficulty with reading often resides in their lack of pre-reading skills. Skills that are NOT taught in school. So other tutors and school teachers try to teach our struggling readers without fixing the foundation skills in reading. It's like building a sky scraper on a weak foundation. Those students will forever struggle, as reading problems are not outgrown, they are persistent. 90% of children who struggle early on, will struggle as adults.
- Phonemic Awareness (pre reading skill)
- The Sound System (with clean sounds)
- Syllable Instruction with vowel patterns
- Meaningful word parts: root words, prefixes, suffixes
- Grammar and syntax
- Word meaning
- Sight words
- Latin Roots
- Greek Combining Forms
- French Influence
- Yes, your 6th grader can complete all 10 levels of our system and have a 10th grade level in reading, spelling and vocabulary.
- Yes, your 2nd grader can learn to spell the word 'auxiliary' faster than the school could teach him 'does'. And retain it. And that same child, for the first time, realizes he is smart because he can spell high school level words.
Our students are very bright and logical and respond well with our color coded word program. We are the ONLY reading program with the online app featuring the colored letter tiles. They can drag and drop to build words using an ipad, just as they can with physical tiles. We are modern and up to date with programs and technologies to keep our students engaged. And we take them out of that classroom setting and tutor from a library, our boat or online.
- We are the FIRST Certified Barton Tutors in NJ (we likely trained the others)
- We have completed the graduate level course on Screening for Dyslexia, offered by Bright Solutions for Dyslexia
- We were personally trained by Susan Barton, an Orton Gillingham Hall of Honor Inductee.
- We have dyslexia. We know what works and what doesn't. And our students get, that we get it and speak their language
- We tutor out of our mobile office, which is a boat, at various locations, and we tutor from local libraries in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Our teaching settings supply a familiar and comfortable place to learn. We avoid the classroom setting, we stay away from stale boardrooms, we hate ammonia smelling doctors offices, and we hate the vibe of dirty, matted, carpet in dark office complexes.
- We offer 1 on 1 tutoring and we offer the same program online for those out of our area.
- We are official Producers of the dyslexia film titled: Embracing Dyslexia and we have been published numerous times.
We prepare students for life beyond the confines of the classroom, and teach them how to succeed beyond the florescent lights.
After all, dyslexia is just an island of weakness, in a sea of strengths. And we teach to those strengths.
We have helped people across the nation and around the world in countless job sectors...proving that reading difficulties are a common global issue...we can fix.
Contact us to get a parent action plan so your student can have the right tools, to reach their academic goals, based on their learning style.